Andres Bello Catholic University (Venezuela)
Andrés Bello Catholic University. It is a private university in Venezuela created in 1953. According to the QS World University Rankings, for the 2018 academic year, UCAB is ranked number 1 in Venezuela, 65 in the region, and 651-700 in the world.
Its antecedents go back to the Jesuit leadership of the Colegio Seminario de Santa Rosa de Lima in 1916, and then to the establishment of the Colegio San Ignacio de Loyola in 1921 at the Esquina de Jesuitas, where it began its activities on October 26, 1953. Starting in 1965, it began to move to its current headquarters in Montalbán.
At its headquarters in Caracas, the Catholic University has the following faculties and undergraduate schools:
Faculty of economics and social sciences
- School of Administration and Accounting.
- School of Social Sciences.
- School of Economics.
Faculty of Humanities and Education
- School of Social
- School of Education.
- School of Philosophy.
- School of Letters.
- School of Psychology.
- Law School.
Faculty of Engineering
- School of Civil Engineering.
- School of Industrial Engineering.
- School of Computer
- School of Telecommunications
Faculty of Theology
- School of Theology.
Research, study and professional updating centers
The Catholic University also has a large number of institutions dedicated to research, covering the widest areas of knowledge. These are:
- Council for Scientific and Humanistic Development.
- Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Historical Research Institute.
- Institute of Legal
- Center for Human Rights.
- Engineering Research Center.
- Human Development and Counseling Center.
- Communication Research Center.
- Humanistic Research and Training Center.
- Research Center for Education, Productivity and Life.
- Nucleus of Studies on Economic Crime.
- Institute of Theology for Religious (ITER-UCAB).
- International Center for Professional Updating (CIAP-UCAB).
National Network of Universities
The higher education institutions framed in the Alma Mater Mission will make up the National University Network, this to guarantee cooperation and articulation between university institutions to strengthen their institutional action of training and intellectual creation, in close connection with social needs, which allows achieve the objectives of the Simón Bolívar National Project.
- Consolidate communities of knowledge and learning, which will have as a fundamental task the generation, transformation and application of knowledge for the benefit of the communities and the country.
- Guarantee the institutional articulation for the development of training programs, shared intellectual creation and social bonding, the exchange of knowledge and experiences, the mobility of students, professors and professors, as well as the use and development of educational resources, information bases and infrastructure that can be used by different institutions.
- Coordinate efforts with other educational institutions, state agencies, companies and popular organizations, to ensure that higher education is closely related to the search for solutions, for the gaps and needs of the communities and the state, this based on values of ethics and morals, such as: justice, equality, solidarity and freedom among others.
- Generate alternative management models, based on a culture of shared work, under the principles of solidarity cooperation and complementarity.
Central Institute of Venezuela
Central Institute of Venezuela. (ICV) It is one of the largest and most important universities in Venezuela. Its main headquarters, the University City of Caracas, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, in 2000.
Constitutions of the Colegio de Santa Rosa of the University of Caracas (1727). In the seventeenth century, a cultural and scientific movement took place in Venezuela that led to the founding of the Colegio Seminario de Caracas in 1673, which had the official name of Colegio Seminario de Santiago de León de Caracas, under the invocation of Santa Rosa de Lima, therefore which was also known as Colegio Santa Rosa.
On December 22, 1721, by means of a Certificate issued by King Felipe V of Spain, the Royal University of Caracas was created with a category equivalent to the Royal University of Santo Domingo and on December 18, 1722, by means of Innocent XIII’s Apostolic Bull, it became Pontifical and officially became the Royal and Pontifical University of Caracas. At first, classes in theology, medicine, philosophy and law were taught exclusively in the Latin language. It was called “Royal and Pontifical” for being under the tutelage and protection of the Spanish Monarch and the Supreme Pontiff.
The new university was governed by the statutes of the Royal University of Santo Domingo while their own were not available, because they were being drawn up. The initial seat of the university was the chapel of the Colegio Seminario Santa Rosa and it was until 1786, the year in which it was moved to the convent of San Francisco. In this last headquarters it remained until 1953, when it was transferred to the University City of Caracas. The San Francisco Convent underwent a repair and became the Palace of the Academies.
By 2009 it had more than seventy thousand undergraduate and postgraduate students, six thousand professors and about eight thousand professional, administrative and worker employees, which are grouped into 9 faculties in Caracas, 2 faculties in Maracay and a nucleus of studies basic schools in Cagua (Aragua State), 5 nuclei of supervised university studies and 12 experimental stations in different areas of the Republic.