Gravois Mills, Missouri
According to top-medical-schools, Gravois Mills is located in the southern part of Missouri near the Lake of the Ozarks. It is a small city with a population of about 5,000 and is situated in an area known for its rolling hills and beautiful scenery. The climate in Gravois Mills is generally warm and humid throughout the year, with mild winters and hot summers. Historically, Gravois Mills was first settled by French-Canadian settlers who arrived here in the early 1800s. The economy of Gravois Mills is largely based on tourism, with a number of resorts and attractions located within its borders. Additionally, there are several small businesses that provide goods and services to the local community.
Politically, Gravois Mills is part of Camden County which is represented by Republican Senator Roy Blunt in Congress. Educationally, Gravois Mills has several schools including an elementary school, middle school, high school and a local community college. Furthermore, there are several private schools located nearby as well as several universities within driving distance from the city.
Gravois Mills has a number of landmarks that attract visitors from all over Missouri. Some notable attractions include historic buildings such as Old Town Hall (built in 1827), St Charles Church (built in 1845), and St Louis Cemetery (built in 1849). Additionally, there are several parks located within city limits such as Lakeview Park which offers swimming pools, playgrounds and picnic areas for visitors to enjoy year-round. Lastly, visitors can explore nearby caves at Meramec Caverns or take a boat ride on Lake Taneycomo which offers great fishing opportunities year-round.
Population: 208. Estimated population in July 2020: 225 (+8.2% change)
Males: 100 (48.1%), Females: 108 (51.9%)
Zip code: 65037
Median resident age: 43.7 years
Median household income: $24,167
Median house value: $65,000
Races in Gravois Mills:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.6%)
- Black (1.0%)
Ancestries: United States (30.8%), Irish (11.5%), German (10.6%), English (4.8%), Italian (2.9%), Welsh (1.4%).
Elevation: 667 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
Gravois Mills, Missouri is a small town located in central Missouri. It has a population of 1,868 as of the 2019 census. The majority of the population is white, accounting for nearly 94% of the population. African Americans make up 1.4%, Asian 0.7%, Native American 0.4%, and Pacific Islander 0.1%. Around 6% identify as two or more races and 2% are Hispanic or Latino of any race. The median household income is $36,621 with 19% of people living below the poverty line.
In terms of age distribution, 37% are under the age of 18 while 11% are 65 years old or older. About 50% are between 25 and 44 years old and around 15% between 45 and 64 years old. The town has seen an increase in its population since 2000 when it was at 1,609 people; however, this growth rate has been slower than that of other parts of Missouri during this period which suggests that Gravois Mills is relatively stable in terms of its population size and composition.
The town has a few amenities including restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores, parks, churches, schools and other services to meet residents’ needs. The area also offers several recreational activities such as fishing at nearby Lake Ozark and golfing at the Old Kinderhook Golf Course located less than 5 miles away from Gravois Mills. Additionally, there are several campgrounds within 25 miles allowing visitors to enjoy all that nature has to offer in this part of Missouri.
For population 25 years and over in Gravois Mills
- High school or higher: 69.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 14.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 12.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gravois Mills town
- Never married: 15.5%
- Now married: 57.4%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 15.5%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +107 (+105.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Gravois Mills:
- LAKE REGIONAL HEALTH SYSTEM (about 17 miles; OSAGE BEACH, MO)
- CAPITAL REGION MED CTR – MADISON (about 43 miles; JEFFERSON CITY, MO)
- BOTHWELL REGIONAL HEALTH CENTER (about 43 miles; SEDALIA, MO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gravois Mills:
- LEE C FINE MEMORIAL (about 26 miles; KAISER LAKE OZARK, MO; Abbreviation: AIZ)
- JEFFERSON CITY MEML (about 51 miles; JEFFERSON CITY, MO; Abbreviation: JEF)
- COLUMBIA REGIONAL (about 55 miles; COLUMBIA, MO; Abbreviation: COU)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gravois Mills:
- HARBOUR (about 3 miles; GRAVOIS MILLS, MO; Abbreviation: 7L7)
- ROY OTTEN MEMORIAL AIRFIELD (about 9 miles; VERSAILLES, MO; Abbreviation: 3VS)
- TAN TAR A RESORT (about 14 miles; OSAGE BEACH, MO; Abbreviation: 19T)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gravois Mills:
- LINCOLN UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; JEFFERSON CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,580)
- SOUTHWEST BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 63 miles; BOLIVAR, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,612)
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-COLUMBIA (about 65 miles; COLUMBIA, MO; Full-time enrollment: 21,444)
- COLUMBIA COLLEGE (about 65 miles; COLUMBIA, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,892)
- CENTRAL MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; Warrensburg, MO; Full-time enrollment: 8,957)
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ROLLA (about 79 miles; ROLLA, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,181)
- OZARKS TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 81 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MO; Full-time enrollment: 3,756)