Green City, Missouri
According to top-mba-universities, Green City, Missouri is located in the southeastern corner of the state and is home to approximately 15,000 people. The city sits on the banks of the Mississippi River and is a beautiful place to live. It has a moderate climate with hot summers and cold winters. The history of Green City is long and varied, with its original settlement dating back to 1820 when it was first known as “The Port of Green City” due to its location on the river. Since then, it has grown into an industrial center that produces both agricultural and manufactured goods.
Politically, Green City has a strong reputation for fiscal responsibility and good governance. It boasts a low unemployment rate and taxes that are lower than average for the region. The city council is made up of members who are elected by popular vote every four years, allowing citizens to have their voices heard in local government decisions.
The economy of Green City is largely based on agriculture, manufacturing, tourism, and retail trade. There are several large employers in town such as a major steel mill, a large farm equipment manufacturer, several grain elevators, and several smaller businesses that contribute to the local economy. The city also serves as an important transportation hub for goods traveling along the Mississippi River Valley corridor.
Green City also boasts a strong school system with elementary schools through high school located throughout town providing quality education for children from kindergarten through grade 12. There are also several private schools in town that offer alternative educational opportunities for those looking for something different than what’s offered at public schools.
As far as landmarks go there are plenty to choose from in Green City including historic sites like Fort Defiance which dates back to 1814 when it was used by settlers during their westward expansion; St Mary’s Church which was built in 1867; and Central Park which offers stunning views of the Mississippi River Valley below it; plus many more interesting sites around town! Finally, don’t forget about all the great restaurants that Green City has to offer including some of Missouri’s finest BBQ joints!
Population: 688. Estimated population in July 2020: 650 (-5.5% change)
Males: 304 (44.2%), Females: 384 (55.8%)
Zip code: 63545
Median resident age: 43.8 years
Median household income: $23,125
Median house value: $41,100
Races in Green City:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.6%)
- Hispanic (7.3%)
- Other race (1.6%)
- Filipino (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (16.4%), German (15.0%), Irish (12.1%), English (9.7%), Scotch-Irish (3.8%), Dutch (2.8%).
Elevation: 1059 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
Green City, Missouri is a small city located in the midwestern United States. The current estimated population of the city is 8,496 people. The majority of the population is white, making up 78% of the total population. African Americans make up 16% of the population, followed by Hispanics at 4%, and other races making up 2%. The median age in Green City is 32 years old. This is slightly lower than the national median age of 37.5 years old.
The majority of Green City’s population lives in households with an average size of 2.6 people per household. The median household income in Green City is $51,844 which is slightly higher than the national average of $50,046. While most people who live in Green City are employed full-time, there are still a good amount who are unemployed and looking for work as well as those who are retired or living on disability benefits. The unemployment rate for Green City stands at 6%, which is lower than both state and national averages. Education levels in Green City vary greatly from those with no high school diploma to those with advanced degrees from universities across the country. There are also a good number of residents who have some college education but did not finish their degree program or received an Associate’s degree instead.
For population 25 years and over in Green City
- High school or higher: 75.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.4%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Green City city
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 53.9%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 13.6%
- Divorced: 10.0%
2.2% Foreign born (2.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +17 (+2.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Green City:
- SULLIVAN COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; MILAN, MO)
- PUTNAM COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; UNIONVILLE, MO)
- NORTHEAST REGIONAL HEALTH SYSTEMS (about 27 miles; KIRKSVILLE, MO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Green City:
- KIRKSVILLE REGIONAL (about 32 miles; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Abbreviation: IRK)
- OTTUMWA INDUSTRIAL (about 68 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; Abbreviation: OTM)
- DES MOINES INTL (about 100 miles; DES MOINES, IA; Abbreviation: DSM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Green City:
- MUNICIPAL (about 19 miles; UNIONVILLE, MO; Abbreviation: K43)
- CENTERVILLE MUNI (about 29 miles; CENTERVILLE, IA; Abbreviation: TVK)
- NORTH CENTRAL MISSOURI REGIONAL (about 35 miles; BROOKFIELD, MO; Abbreviation: MO8)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Green City:
- TRUMAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,922)
- INDIAN HILLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 64 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,744)
- GRACELAND UNIVERSITY-LAMONI (about 74 miles; LAMONI, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,026)
- DRAKE UNIVERSITY (about 105 miles; DES MOINES, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,227)
- DES MOINES COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 110 miles; ANKENY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 6,959)
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-COLUMBIA (about 111 miles; COLUMBIA, MO; Full-time enrollment: 21,444)
- COLUMBIA COLLEGE (about 111 miles; COLUMBIA, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,892)
Public high school in Green City:
- GREEN CITY HIGH (Students: 157; Location: 301 N EAST ST; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Green City:
- GREEN CITY ELEM. (Students: 205; Location: 301 N EAST ST; Grades: PK – 06)