Job Interview Follow Up
After a Job Interview
The interview has ended, you made it home, and now it’s all over, right? Wrong, Effective follow-up actions can make a big different in getting a job offer over more qualified applicants.
What to Do After a Job Interview
Following up can make the difference between being unemployed or underemployed and getting the job you want fast. When you get home from the interview, do the following:
- Make notes on the interview. While it is fresh in your mind, jot down key points. A week later, you may not remember something essential.
- Schedule your follow-up. If you agreed to call back next Monday between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m., you are likely to forget unless you put it on your schedule.
- Send your thank-you note. Send the note the very same day if possible. Send an email thank-you that day, and follow this with a thank-you note through regular mail.
- Call when you said you would! When you call when you said you would, you create the impression of being organized and wanting the job. If you do have a specific question, ask it at this time. If a job opening exists and you do want it, say that you want it and explain why. If no job opening exists, say you enjoyed the visit and would like to stay in touch during your job search. If interviewers referred you to others, let them know how these contacts went. Ask them what they suggest your next step should be. This would also be a good time to ask, if you have not done so before, for the names of anyone else with whom you might speak about a position for a person with your skills and experience. Then, if course, follow up with any new referrals.
- Schedule more follow-up. Set a time to talk with this person again. And, of course, send the interviewer another thank-you note or email.
SAMPLE THANK YOU LETTER
March 6, 2002
Linn Val Industries, Inc.
300 9th Street
Albany, OR 97321
Dear Ms. Owner:
Thank you for taking the time to interview me yesterday. I am very interested in the production position we discussed and excited about the opportunity for advancement available at Linn Val.
My seven years of experience in production and my ability to work well as part of a team fit well with your expressed needs. I have also had experience working with large machinery and have driven forklift. As a dependable, punctual worker with a flawless safety record, I would be a real benefit to your company.
Again, thank you for your time and consideration. I am looking forward to hearing from you and would be happy to provide any further information you may need.
(Signature goes in this blank)
413 NW Myers
Albany, OR 97321