According to topschoolsintheusa, Sardis, Mississippi is a small town located in the northwest corner of Mississippi. It has a population of around 1,300 people, and is located at the intersection of two main highways. The geography of the area is mostly flat with some rolling hills and wooded areas. The climate is typical for the region with hot summers and mild winters.
Sardis has a rich history that dates back to the 1800s when it was settled by Native Americans. In 1836, it was incorporated as a town and began to grow. It was also a major center for cotton production during the Civil War era. Today, Sardis is known as an agricultural center with many farms in the area producing corn, soybeans, cotton, and other crops.
Politically speaking, Sardis is part of Panola County which tends to be mostly conservative. Economically speaking, Sardis has seen some growth in recent years due to its proximity to Memphis and other larger cities in the region. There are several businesses in town including restaurants, stores, banks, and other services that provide jobs for locals.
The school system consists of one elementary school (K-8) and one high school (9-12). Both schools are part of the Panola County School District which also provides adult education classes as well as technical training programs for those looking to enter into certain trades or professions.
Finally, there are several landmarks throughout Sardis that make it unique from other towns in Mississippi such as the Old Sardis Church which dates back to 1852; this church still stands today and operates on Sundays during regular service times. Another landmark worth noting is Big Hill Cemetery which serves as a reminder of those who have been buried there since before the Civil War era; this cemetery features monuments dedicated to both Confederate soldiers and African American veterans who served during World War I & II respectively.
Population: 2,038. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,033 (-0.2% change)
Males: 890 (43.7%), Females: 1,148 (56.3%)
Zip code: 38666
Median resident age: 39.1 years
Median household income: $23,042
Median house value: $49,100
Races in Sardis:
- Black (56.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (41.8%)
- Hispanic (1.5%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (12.1%), English (4.4%), Irish (4.1%), German (2.9%), Subsaharan African (1.3%), Welsh (1.1%).
Land area: 2.0 square miles
Sardis, Mississippi is a small town located in the northwest part of the state with a population of approximately 2,400 people. The town is known for its friendly atmosphere and picturesque scenery. The cost of living in Sardis is relatively low compared to other towns in Mississippi. The median home value in the town is around $95,000 and the median household income is just over $37,000 per year. Renters can expect to pay around $700 per month for an average two-bedroom apartment. The cost of groceries and other necessities are also quite affordable when compared to other parts of the state. Furthermore, there are no sales taxes on goods or services which makes Sardis a great place to shop for those on a budget.
The community of Sardis is made up mostly of families who have lived here for generations and newcomers who come from all walks of life. The city has several churches that serve different denominations so there’s something for everyone regardless of their faith background. There are also plenty of recreational activities available such as fishing and boating on Sardis Lake as well as golfing at one of the local courses nearby. Overall, Sardis is an ideal place to live if you’re looking for a small town atmosphere with affordable living costs and plenty to do!
For population 25 years and over in Sardis
- High school or higher: 66.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.0%
- Unemployed: 10.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sardis town
- Never married: 34.1%
- Now married: 41.5%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 12.7%
- Divorced: 9.3%
1.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -186 (-8.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sardis:
- TRI LAKES SENIOR CENTER (about 10 miles; BATESVILLE, MS)
- NORTH OAK REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; SENATOBIA, MS)
- QUITMAN COUNTY HOSPITAL & NH (about 28 miles; MARKS, MS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sardis:
- UNIVERSITY-OXFORD (about 27 miles; OXFORD, MS; Abbreviation: UOX)
- MEMPHIS INTL (about 42 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Abbreviation: MEM)
- MILLINGTON MUNI (about 63 miles; MILLINGTON, TN; Abbreviation: NQA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sardis:
- PANOLA COUNTY (about 7 miles; BATESVILLE, MS; Abbreviation: PMU)
- WATER VALLEY MUNI (about 25 miles; WATER VALLEY, MS; Abbreviation: 33M)
- HERNANDO VILLAGE AIRPARK, INC (about 26 miles; HERNANDO, MS; Abbreviation: H75)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sardis:
- NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 13 miles; SENATOBIA, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,842)
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI MAIN CAMPUS (about 27 miles; UNIVERSITY, MS; Full-time enrollment: 11,068)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-MACON CAMPUS (about 53 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 6,979)
- UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS (about 53 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 15,831)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-UNION CAMPUS (about 53 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 6,979)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 53 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,019)
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; ITTA BENA, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,297)
Public high school in Sardis:
- NORTH PANOLA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 413; Location: 500 HWY 51 N; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Sardis:
- GREENHILL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 506; Location: 559 WEST PEARL STREET; Grades: KG – 06)
- ALTERNATIVE LEARNING SCHOOL (Location: 119 MCLAURIN; Grades: 04 – 12)