Schlater, Mississippi is a small town located in the northwestern corner of the state. It has a population of just over 1,000 people and is situated on the banks of the White River. The climate in Schlater is temperate, with an average temperature of 70 degrees in the summer and 40 degrees in the winter. The town’s history is deeply rooted in agriculture, as its first settlers were farmers who grew cotton and other crops. This agricultural heritage has been preserved to this day, with many farms still operating on the outskirts of town. See harvardshoes for main cities in Mississippi.
Politically, Schlater is a conservative town with strong ties to local government. The mayor and council are elected every four years by popular vote, and local elections are always hotly contested affairs. Despite its small size, Schlater has several schools that provide education for students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. These include two public elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. In addition to these public schools there is also a private Christian academy that offers classes from pre-kindergarten through eighth grade.
In terms of landmarks and attractions, Schlater boasts a few interesting places to visit including two parks – White River Park and Memorial Park – both of which offer picnic areas and playgrounds; two churches – St Paul’s Episcopal Church and First Baptist Church; an old mill that dates back to 1876; as well as several museums dedicated to local history such as the Cotton Museum, which showcases artifacts from Schlater’s cotton-growing past. Additionally, there are several restaurants located throughout town offering traditional Southern dishes like fried catfish and hush puppies.
In terms of economy, Schlater relies heavily on agriculture as well as tourism for its income. Local businesses such as grocery stores, hardware stores, gas stations and antique shops all contribute to the economic health of the community by providing goods and services for residents as well as visitors from nearby townships or larger cities like Memphis or Jackson. There are also several small manufacturing companies based out of Schlater that produce various items ranging from textiles to furniture components.
Population: 388. Estimated population in July 2020: 371 (-4.4% change)
Males: 180 (46.4%), Females: 208 (53.6%)
Zip code: 38952
Median resident age: 34.4 years
Median household income: $23,816
Median house value: $42,900
Races in Schlater:
- Black (60.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (38.9%)
- Asian Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (5.9%), English (3.4%), Irish (3.4%), Scotch-Irish (1.3%), Italian (1.0%), Scottish (1.0%).
Elevation: 133 feet
Land area: 1.2 square miles
Schlater, Mississippi is a small rural town located in the heart of the Delta region. It has a population of around 1,500 people, with a racial makeup of approximately 64% African American and 34% White. The median household income is around $29,000 per year and the median home value is approximately $65,000. The cost of living in Schlater is relatively low compared to other parts of Mississippi. The average rent for an apartment ranges from $400 to $550 per month and groceries are generally inexpensive due to the abundance of local farmers markets. Utilities are also relatively low as most residents use propane for heating and cooling their homes. There are also several affordable restaurants in town such as Ruby’s Diner which serves delicious home cooked meals at prices that won’t break the bank. Residents can also find entertainment in nearby towns such as Greenwood or Clarksdale where there are movie theaters, bowling alleys, and other attractions that offer fun experiences without having to travel too far from home.
For population 25 years and over in Schlater
- High school or higher: 55.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 22.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Schlater town
- Never married: 39.0%
- Now married: 34.9%
- Separated: 6.0%
- Widowed: 12.4%
- Divorced: 7.6%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -15 (-3.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Schlater:
- GREENWOOD LEFLORE HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; GREENWOOD, MS)
- NORTH SUNFLOWER COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; RULEVILLE, MS)
- SOUTH SUNFLOWER COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; INDIANOLA, MS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Schlater:
- MID DELTA RGNL (about 46 miles; GREENVILLE, MS; Abbreviation: GLH)
- UNIVERSITY-OXFORD (about 76 miles; OXFORD, MS; Abbreviation: UOX)
- JACKSON INTERNATIONAL (about 95 miles; JACKSON, MS; Abbreviation: JAN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Schlater:
- RULEVILLE-DREW (about 15 miles; DREW, MS; Abbreviation: M37)
- GREENWOOD-LEFLORE (about 22 miles; GREENWOOD, MS; Abbreviation: GWO)
- INDIANOLA MUNI (about 25 miles; INDIANOLA, MS; Abbreviation: IDL)
Amtrak station near Schlater:
- 15 miles: GREENWOOD (506 CARROLTON AVE.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, free short-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Schlater:
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 11 miles; ITTA BENA, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,297)
- MISSISSIPPI DELTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 17 miles; MOORHEAD, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,486)
- DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; CLEVELAND, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,288)
- HOLMES COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 58 miles; GOODMAN, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,485)
- NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 73 miles; SENATOBIA, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,842)
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI MAIN CAMPUS (about 76 miles; UNIVERSITY, MS; Full-time enrollment: 11,068)
- MISSISSIPPI COLLEGE (about 92 miles; CLINTON, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,904)