University of São Paulo (Brazil)
University of São Paulo (USP). It is one of the three public universities in the state of São Paulo, along with the State University of Campinas (Unicamp) and the Paulista State University (Unesp), in Brazil. It is the largest public university in the country, as well as one of the most prestigious.
The University of São Paulo was created in 1934, by state decree No. 6,283, of January 25, 1934, by decision of the governor of São Paulo at the time, Armando de Salles Oliveira.
USP began with some existing schools, the oldest being the Faculty of Law, which has existed since 1827, and the Faculty of Philosophy, Science and Letters, created jointly with the University and which had the mission of integrating literary, humanistic and scientific.
USP is today, and has always sought to be, a living institution that grows and renews itself with the arrival of new generations of students and researchers. However, in those more than seven decades of existence, it has already reached full and balanced maturity to draw solid lines for the future.
Like most Latin American universities, it corresponds to the idea of ”university” as a set of autonomous schools, institutes and faculties, each one of them responsible for an area of knowledge. USP, as well as the majority of Brazilian Universities, grants autonomy to its units regarding the didactic organization and curricular definition of each one of the courses, which often results in a considered excessive fragmentation of teaching and of the disconnection between the knowledge produced in each of the units. Each unit is divided into departments. A department is normally responsible for one of the courses offered by the unit or for a specific line of research. In the case of units with only one or two courses, the departments are not responsible for the entire course, but for a part of it. Due to the aforementioned fragmentation and decentralization of the university, it is common to see departments with similar profiles in different units, which generates criticism regarding the effectiveness of public investments and the duplication of efforts.
It has 44 units of libraries installed in its schools, museums and research institutes in the different campuses. These libraries make up USP’s Integrated Library System (SIBI).
The user can access information on any element of the collection, and also the full text when available, in addition to electronic journals subscribed by USP and CAPES, electronic books and reference databases and the full text.
Furthermore, you can find the addresses, contacts and hours of operation of 44 libraries, divided into the areas of human resources, biological and precise.
The museums of the University of São Paulo are open to the general public and offer art, historical and scientific exhibitions.
- Human Anatomy Museum
- Veterinary Anatomy Museum
- Museum of Archeology and Ethnology
- Contemporary Art Museum
- science museum
- Earth Science Museum
- Paulista Museum
- Oceanographic Museum
- Zoology Museum
Schools, Colleges and Institutes
- School of Arts, Sciences and Humanities (CADA)
- School of Communication and Arts (ECA)
- School of Physical Education and Sport (EEFE)
- School of Nursing (EE)
- Polytechnic School (Poly)
- Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism (FAU)
- Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences (FCF)
- Faculty of Law (F.D.)
- Faculty of Economic Sciences, Administration and Accounting (FEA)
- Faculty of Education (FE)
- Faculty of Philosophy and Humanities (FFLCH)
- Faculty of Medicine (FM)
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (FMVZ)
- Faculty of Dentistry (FO)
- School of Public Health (FSP)
- Institute of Astronomy, Geophysics and Atmospheric Sciences (IAG)
- Institute of Biosciences (IB)
- Institute of Biomedical Sciences (ICB)
- Institute of Electrotechnics and Energy (IEE)
- Institute for Advanced Studies (IEA)
- Institute of Brazilian Studies (IEB)
- Institute of Physics (IF)
- Institute of Geosciences (IGC)
- Institute of Mathematics and Statistics (IME)
- São Paulo Institute of Tropical Medicine (IMT)
- Institute of Psychology (IP)
- Institute of Chemistry (IQ)
- Institute of International Relations (IRI)
- Institute of Oceanography (IO)
Centers and institutes specialized in advanced research complement the scientific development promoted by USP.
- Marine Biology Center
- Center for Nuclear Energy in Agriculture
- Institute of Electrotechnics and Energy
- Institutes for Advanced Study
- Institute of Brazilian Studies