Verndale, Minnesota is a small city located in Wadena County in the heart of Central Minnesota. The population of Verndale is estimated to be around 800 people. The geography of Verndale is mostly rural, but it is surrounded by many lakes and rivers. This provides plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities like fishing, boating, and swimming. The climate in Verndale is generally mild with warm summers and cold winters. See topbbacolleges for information about Aitkin County, Minnesota.
Verndale has a rich history that dates back to the 1800s when it was founded by settlers from Germany and Scandinavia. It was then known as “Vern’s Dale” after one of the original founders. Since then, the town has seen its share of changes but has managed to maintain its small-town charm throughout the years.
Politically, Verndale leans slightly Republican and is represented in the Minnesota State Senate by Republican Senator Bill Ingebrigtsen. The economy in Verndale is largely agricultural-based with many local businesses providing goods and services to the community. There are also several major employers such as a meat packing plant, trucking companies, and a nursing home that provide jobs for many residents.
The school system in Verndale consists of two elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school that offer quality education for students from kindergarten through 12th grade. There are also several universities nearby that offer higher education opportunities to those who wish to pursue them.
The town has many landmarks including the historic Lutheran Church which was built in 1884 and serves as a reminder of the town’s strong Scandinavian roots; it also houses an extensive library with books on local history and genealogy research materials. Other landmarks include Old Town Hall which was built in 1894; it now serves as a museum showcasing artifacts from early settlers; there is also an old train depot which now serves as a restaurant; this building was once used by passengers travelling on trains between Minneapolis and St Paul during the late 1800s.
Population: 575. Estimated population in July 2020: 554 (-3.7% change)
Males: 280 (48.7%), Females: 295 (51.3%)
Zip code: 56481
Median resident age: 35.5 years
Median household income: $26,000
Median house value: $44,400
Races in Verndale:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.8%)
- Hispanic (1.6%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
- Other race (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (29.2%), Norwegian (14.4%), Swedish (10.3%), Irish (7.8%), United States (7.0%), Polish (4.2%).
Elevation: 1349 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Verndale, Minnesota is a small town located in Wadena County with a population of about 1,000 people. The town was founded in 1881 and was named after the Verndale brothers who were early settlers. The median household income is $41,022 and the median home value is $107,400. The cost of living in Verndale is slightly lower than the national average and the unemployment rate stands at 3.2%.
Verndale has a great school system with excellent teachers and resources for students. The public schools are well-funded and have high test scores, which make them attractive to families looking to move to the area. There are also several private schools available for those who prefer a more religious based education system.
The town offers many recreational activities for residents including fishing, camping, hiking, biking trails and golf courses. There are also several local parks where people can enjoy picnics or just relax outdoors. Shopping opportunities include antique stores, thrift shops and small boutiques that offer unique items from local artisans and craftsmen. There are also many restaurants in the area that offer both traditional American cuisine as well as international meals from around the world.
For population 25 years and over in Verndale
- High school or higher: 77.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.9%
- Unemployed: 7.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Verndale city
- Never married: 21.8%
- Now married: 54.0%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 11.0%
- Divorced: 12.3%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -39 (-6.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Verndale:
- TRI COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; WADENA, MN)
- LAKEWOOD HEALTH SYSTEM (about 15 miles; STAPLES, MN)
- LONG PRAIRIE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL C & NC (about 32 miles; LONG PRAIRIE, MN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Verndale:
- BRAINERD LAKES RGNL (about 61 miles; BRAINERD, MN; Abbreviation: BRD)
- BEMIDJI-BELTRAMI COUNTY (about 76 miles; BEMIDJI, MN; Abbreviation: BJI)
- ST CLOUD REGIONAL (about 90 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Abbreviation: STC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Verndale:
- WADENA MUNI (about 14 miles; WADENA, MN; Abbreviation: ADC)
- STAPLES MUNI (about 15 miles; STAPLES, MN; Abbreviation: SAZ)
- CLARISSA MUNI (about 22 miles; CLARISSA, MN; Abbreviation: 8Y5)
Amtrak station near Verndale:
- 16 miles: STAPLES (1ST AVE. N & 4TH ST. NE). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Verndale:
- CENTRAL LAKES COLLEGE-BRAINERD (about 59 miles; BRAINERD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,364)
- NORTHWEST TECHNICAL COLLEGE-BEMIDJI (about 77 miles; BEMIDJI, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,761)
- BEMIDJI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 77 miles; BEMIDJI, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,562)
- SAINT CLOUD TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 81 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,183)
- SAINT CLOUD STATE UNIVERSITY (about 82 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 12,913)
- RIDGEWATER COLLEGE (about 88 miles; WILLMAR, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,711)
- MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MOORHEAD (about 109 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 6,400)
Public high school in Verndale:
- VERNDALE SEC. (Students: 229; Location: 411 S.W. BROWN ST.; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Verndale:
- VERNDALE EL. (Students: 240; Location: 411 S.W. BROWN ST.; Grades: PK – 06)